Home Away from Home for the Holidays
The holiday season is here, and Grand Traverse Resort and Spa is thrilled to be your home away from home. We transform the Resort into a winter wonderland of twinkling lights, snow-dusted trees, and plenty of Christmas cheer in the Grand Lobby. With tons to do around property and in the Grand Traverse area, you and your loved ones can capture all the magic of December adventures in beautiful Northern Michigan.
The Christmas festivities begin on Saturday, November 30, when Santa visits the Resort! Stop by the lobby for photos and a meet and greet with our favorite man in red. Can't make it Thanksgiving weekend? Santa will be back December 7 and 14!
Stock up on presents and stocking stuffers in the Gallery of Shops. With gift wrapping, discounts for locals, and other awesome perks, this is the perfect time to browse our stores. From the perfect treat at Whirligigs Candy to chic gifts at Ashleigh's and everything in between, the Gallery of Shops has your list covered.
With our bellies full of pumpkin pie, we’ll roll right in to the Biggest Little Holiday Party on Saturday, December 7. It’s the 30th anniversary of the Resort’s beloved bash, and we’re celebrating with delicious food and live music by the Blue Water Kings. At only $34 per person, the Biggest Little Holiday Party makes it easy for small businesses, non-profits, or groups of friends to enjoy a party without the stress (and spending) of planning. The pre-party reception begins at 6:00 p.m. with dinner and dancing to follow at 7:00 p.m. (Bonus: a special room rate starting at $95 is available for those who want to enjoy an overnight vacation.)
On Christmas day, spend the afternoon relaxing and enjoying time with family and friends while Aerie Restaurant & Lounge takes care of the cooking. Visit Aerie on Wednesday, December 25, for a Christmas Day buffet complete with all the holiday favorites like mashed potatoes, ham, prime rib, pie, and more. For reservations, call 231-534-6800 or visit Open Table.
For those visiting between Christmas and New Year’s Eve, children and adults alike will have their share of holiday activities around the Resort. Kids will have a blast with daily games and crafts—like snowman building, cookie decorating, and movie nights—while the grown-ups hit the spa, get in a practice round at the indoor Golf Academy, and rent snowshoes or cross-country skis for an outdoor adventure on property.
Last but not least…New Year’s Eve! This year, there are two great ways to ring in 2019. First up: the Midnight in the Mitten NYE party in Governors' Hall. An eight-course meal + Michigan drink pairings + music from the Blue Water Kings = a night to remember! Second: New Year’s Eve Dinner at Aerie Restaurant & Lounge, featuring a one-night-only menu with wine pairings from our award-winning wine list and live music performed by local musician John Pomeroy.
And if you’re wondering about the little ones…everyone in the family is covered! The Kids’ New Year’s Eve Party is a great option for children ages 6–12, and includes activities like crafts, games, swimming, and a balloon drop at midnight. Licensed daycare is also available from 6:00 p.m. to 1:00 a.m. in the Cub House for children 0–6.
To learn more about our upcoming holiday events, visit our dedicated holidays page.
- November 27 - December 28: Classic Christmas movies at the State Theatre (Wed, Fri, Sat)
- December 1-7: Christmas at the Lighthouse in Northport
- December 6-8: Walking in a Window Wonderland in downtown TC
- December 13-15: Christmas in the Village at Grand Traverse Commons
- December 21: Brunch with Santa at Black Star Farms
- December 31: Traverse City New Year’s Eve CherryT Ball Drop
Outdoor Activities and Adventures
- December 7: Create Wreaths and Centerpieces at Grass River Natural Area
- December 21: Christmas Miracle Mile/Ugly Sweater Dash at Cherry Republic
- December 22: Jingle Bell Run 5K Run/Walk
- December 25: Ski Free with Santa at Shanty Creek Resorts
- December 26-31: Snowshoes, Vines & Wines at Black Star Farms
- December 28: Reflections Hike presented by the Leelanau Conservancy
- November 30: The 12 Pubs of Christmas in downtown TC
- December 7: Light Up the Night & Soup Cook Off in Bellaire
- December 8: Downtown Cocoa Crawl
- December 10: Ugly Sweater Party at Jolly Pumpkin
Music, Theater, and Art
- November 29-30: Holiday Sing-a-Long with Dave Calendine at the Music House Museum
- December 1: Irish Christmas in America at the Dennos Museum
- December 2-4: A Holiday Cabaret by the Young Company at Old Town Playhouse
- December 7-8: Home for the Holidays with the Traverse Symphony Orchestra and the Accidentals
- December 7: Elf the Musical at Old Town Playhouse
- December 13: The Oak Ridge Boys Down Home Christmas at Leelanau Sands Showroom
- December 13 and 14: The Nutcracker at Interlochen Arts Academy
- Decemeber 17: Sounds of the Season at Interlochen Arts Academy
HydraFacial delivers results on first treatment
Still the Best: The Bear at 35
Iconic course remains top on golfers’ must-play lists
Simply the Best
Resort garners top convention center award